Neeraj Chopra becomes World Number One Player in Javelin Throw
- 26 May 2023
- 1 min read
Why in News?
On 22 May 2023, Neeraj Chopra of Haryana's Panipat district became the world's number one player in the men's javelin throw rankings released by World Athletics. Neeraj is the first Indian to get this ranking.
- Neeraj Chopra continues to top the rankings with 1455 points, while Anderson Peters of Grenada is the world number two javelin thrower with 1433 points.
- Jakub Vadlejch of the Czech Republic, who won a silver medal at the Tokyo Olympics, is third in the world rankings with 1416 points.
- Significantly, on 5 May 2023, Neeraj Chopra won the Doha Diamond League title with a throw of 88.67 meters. Due to this, he has become the number one javelin thrower.
- Chopra reached World No. 2 on 30 August 2022 but by then, the defending world champion, Anderson Peters was ahead of him.
- In September 2022, Neeraj won the Diamond League 2022 final in Zurich, making him the first Indian athlete to do so.