Madhya Pradesh Ranks Third in Milk Production in the Country
- 16 Sep 2023
- 2 min read
Why In News?
- According to the information received from the media on September 14, 2023, Madhya Pradesh ranks third in the country in milk production with a total of 17 thousand 999 metric tons.
- Per capita milk availability in Madhya Pradesh is 591 grams (about 1.3 lb) per day. This availability is 147 grams (about 5.19 oz) more than the national average per capita per day of 444 grams (about 15.66 oz).
- The steady increase in milk production in Madhya Pradesh has been a result of the effective implementation of animal health, safety and various employment-oriented schemes by the Animal Husbandry Department.
- In the first phase of the National Animal Disease Control Programme, 25 lakh 63 thousand animals and 208 lakh cattle of cow-buffalo origin were vaccinated in the second phase, which is the highest in the country.
- The state is also first in the country in 13 lakh 89 thousand Brucella vaccination in cattle and calves.
- Madhya Pradesh is also the state that approves Kisan Credit Cards to the maximum number of 3 lakh 77 thousand cattle rearers in the country.
- So far, 36 lakh 47 thousand 482 animals have been vaccinated against Lampi in the state.
- At present, there are about 80 active cases of Lampi in Bhopal, Rewa and Sehore districts in the state.