Madhya Pradesh Becomes Cleanest State in India, Indore Cleanest City for Sixth Time
- 03 Oct 2022
- 4 min read
Why In News?
- On October 1, 2022, President Draupadi Murmu presented Madhya Pradesh as the cleanest state in the category of states with more than 100 cities and Indore as the cleanest city in the country at a ceremony held in New Delhi.
- Like every year in the Swachh Survekshan-2022 conducted by the Government of India, Madhya Pradesh once again set records of cleanliness. The state has received 16 national awards in Swachh Survekshan-2022. 99 urban bodies of the state have got star rating. In the year 2021, 27 cities got star rating.
- Bhopal also received the award of 5 star as well as clean sustainable capital of the country. Indore became the first 7 star rating certified city. Ujjain received the best citizen participation award in cities in the population category of more than one lakh.
- Chhindwara was awarded for the country's citizen feedback in cities of one lakh to 3 lakh population, Mungaoli in the west zone was awarded for self-sustainable city in the 15 thousand to 25 thousand population category, Khurai got the award for self-sustainable city in the 50 thousand to one lakh population category of west zone and Mhow Cantt got the award of the third cleanest cantonment in the country.
- Similarly, in the West Zone, the award for the fastest growing city in the population category of 15 thousand to 25 thousand goes to Obaidullaganj, the award for the fastest growing city in the category of population below 15 thousand goes to Phufkala, the best innovation in the category of population of 15 thousand to 25 thousand. Petlawad has got the award of and Badauni has got the highest citizen participation award in the country in cities with population of less than one lakh.
- Ujjain and Khajuraho received national awards for their outstanding performance in the Indian Cleanliness League.
Achievements of the State in Swachh Bharat Mission
- Garbage collection is being done in 100% urban areas of the state. For this, more than 5 thousand 423 motorized vehicles have been provided to the urban bodies. GPS and PA systems have been installed in these vehicles.
- Home composting is being encouraged for processing and execution of wet waste. Compost of wet waste stored in centralized composting units of bodies is made. This compost is used as manure in rural areas adjoining urban areas.
- For processing of dry waste, 275 material recovery facility units have been set up in 256 urban bodies.
- The aim is to completely eliminate legacy waste in the bodies. So far, 100% legacy waste of 50 bodies has been processed.
- 60 urban bodies in the state have been covered under 5 Integrated Solid Waste Management Clusters. Apart from this, action is being taken for implementation of stand-alone projects in 316 urban bodies.
- There are 354 FTPs operating in 18 bodies and 51 STPs in 18 bodies prioritizing execution of fecal sludge.