Switch To Hindi
Justice K Vinod Chandran will be the Chief Justice of Patna High Court
- 09 Feb 2023
- 2 min read
Why In News?
On February 8, 2023, the Supreme Court Collegium appointed Senior Judge justice K.K. Singh of the Kerala High Court. The Supreme Court has recommended Vinod Chandran for elevation as the chief justice of the Patna High Court.
- The Supreme Court will send its recommendation to the Central Government. After the consent of the Central Government and the President. A notification will be issued to appoint Vinod Chandran as the Chief Justice of Patna High Court.
- The post of Chief Justice of Patna High Court was lying vacant since the elevation of Patna High Court Chief Justice Sanjay Karol as a judge of the Supreme Court. At present, senior judge of Patna High Court Chakradhari Sharan Singh has been appointed as the acting Chief Justice of Patna High Court.
- The Supreme Court collegium had earlier recommended justice K Vinod Chandran as the chief justice of the Gauhati High Court. But then the collegium withdrew its recommendation keeping in mind more vacancies and promotion of chief justices to the Supreme Court.
- After this, Justice K. Vinod Chandran has been appointed as the Chief Justice of Patna High Court. K. Vinod Chandran is 24, due to retire in April 2025.
- On 13 December, 2022, the Supreme Court Collegium had recommended the names of three Chief Justices and two Judges from different courts of the country for the post of Supreme Court Judges. It also included the names of Patna High Court Chief Justice Sanjay Karol and Justice Ahsanuddin Amanullah.