IVF Facility at AIIMS Rishikesh
- 12 Oct 2021
- 1 min read
Why in News
- The IVF Center in the Department of Gynecology, AIIMS was inaugurated by Dr. Arvind Rajvanshi, Director, AIIMS Rishikesh on October 11, 2021.
- With this, AIIMS Rishikesh has become the first government hospital in the state of Uttarakhand, where the facility of In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) is available.
- AIIMS Rishikesh will provide this facility for women up to 45 years of age and men up to 50 years of age as per the guidelines of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
- It is noteworthy that IVF is an assisted reproductive technology, under which eggs obtained from the ovaries of a female in the laboratory are exposed to sperms in a fluid medium. The fertilized egg obtained from this process is transferred to the female's womb. The babies born through this whole process are called 'test tube babies'.
- Robert Edward is considered to be the father of IVF technology.