Inauguration of 'Indira Gandhi Smartphone Yojana'
- 11 Aug 2023
- 2 min read
Why in News?
On August 10, 2023, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot launched the 'Indira Gandhi Smartphone Scheme' by pressing the remote button and providing smartphones to beneficiary women at Birla Auditorium auditorium in Jaipur.
- 'Indira Gandhi Smartphone Scheme' will become a major medium for empowerment of women with a revolution in the IT sector. Through the scheme, almost every woman of the state will have a mobile in her hand.
- The Chief Minister also released the Digital Sakhi Handbook 'Seekho Digital, Sikhaao Digital' at the event. All the information related to the use of mobile in the handbook has been included with color pictures.
- A short video film related to Indira Gandhi Smartphone Scheme was also screened on the occasion.
- Under the scheme, 1.35 crore women of Chiranjeevi families will be given smartphones with 3 years of internet connectivity. In the first phase, smartphones have been given to 40 lakh women and girl students.
- Under the scheme, DBT of Rs 6800 is being given to the beneficiaries for each smartphone and initially 20 GB data is being provided.
- Now smartphones will be provided to women in the camps without any problem. Also, they will get information about how to operate mobile phones in the camp.
- The Chief Minister said that in the second phase of the scheme, smartphones would be made available to 80 lakh women. Making smartphones available to women is not a cesspool but a means of women empowerment. There are many uses of mobile, which make life easier.
- He said that this scheme has been brought on the theme of 'Knowledge is Power'. Through smartphones, access and engagement of women will be ensured with welfare schemes. Along with benefiting themselves, they will also be able to do social service by making women aware.