Hearing of Land Disputes in Bihar
- 17 Sep 2021
- 1 min read
Why in News
- Recently an order was issued by Vivek Kumar Singh, Additional Chief Secretary, Bihar Revenue and Land Reforms Department, regarding giving the DCLR (Deputy Collector Land Reforms) the right to hear disputes related to land again.
- DCLR got this right after the Supreme Court's intervention in the court dispute that has been going on for nearly eight years.
- Now DCLR will decide about a disputed land, who is its real owner? This is called a title suit. They will initiate hearing of cases related to Raiyati cases and will also implement the orders passed in the earlier cases.
- It is noteworthy that through the Bihar Land Disputes Redressal Act, 2009, DCLR was empowered to hear land disputes. This act was challenged in the Patna High Court in 2013 by a raiyat named Maheshwar Mandal.
- Five years later, in 2018, following the High Court's order, the Revenue and Land Reforms Department issued an order restraining the DCLR from conducting court hearings.