Haryana's Second Place in Khelo India Youth Games - 2022
- 13 Feb 2023
- 2 min read
Why In News?
The Khelo India Youth Games 2022 concluded on February 11, 2023, in which Haryana has secured the second position with 41 gold medals.
- In the Khelo India Youth Games - 2022, Maharashtra was the overall champion by securing a total of 161 medals including 56 gold, 55 silver and 50 bronze medals. On the other hand, Haryana has been at the second position by getting a total of 128 medals including 41 gold, 32 silver and 55 bronze.
- Madhya Pradesh finished third with a total of 96 gold, 30 silver and 27 medals including 39 bronze medals.
- Haryana won a total of medals including 9 gold 41 in wrestling, in boxing medals with 8 gold medals 15 in athletics 4 gold including and 13 medals.
- In the last Khelo India Youth Games 2021, host Haryana stood first with 52 gold medals.
- Significantly, Khelo India Youth Games 2022 was organized in Madhya Pradesh from January 31 to February 11, 2023. It was the fifth edition of the Khelo India Youth Games (KIYG), first held in 2018 in the capital New Delhi.
- The edition was held in eight cities of Madhya Pradesh, including capital Bhopal, Indore, Gwalior, Ujjain, Maheshwar, Jabalpur, Mandla and Balaghat cities. Apart from this, some games were also organized in Delhi.
- This edition of Khelo India Youth Games featured 27 sports, in which water sports were included for the first time in the history of the Games. New sports such as canoe slalom, kayaking, canoeing and rowing also joined the indigenous games.
- Over 5,000 athletes from 36 states and union territories of India participated in the Khelo India Youth Games 2022. Where athletes competed for 973 medals – 295 gold, 295 silver and 383 bronze – in 27 sports.