Decision to Purchase on Support Price of Rally Cosa in Chhattisgarh
- 13 Jan 2022
- 3 min read
Why in News
- On January 12, 2022, Managing Director, State Minor Forest Produce Association, Sanjay Shukla informed that important decisions have been taken in the interest of tribal-forest farmers engaged in sericulture and cocoa production in Bastar division. Under this, the purchase of rally cosa will now be done by Chhattisgarh State Minor Forest Produce Association on support price.
- Forest and Climate Change Minister Mohammad Akbar said that with this important decision of the government, now the local residents will get maximum benefit of processing including production of Rally Kosa.
- Giving information in this regard, Managing Director Sanjay Shukla said that by increasing the local processing of rally cosa in the state, the Chief Minister has also directed to increase employment at the local level.
- It is worth mentioning that the state of Chhattisgarh is the leader in cocoa production. Two types of Kosa are produced in the state, which are called Rally and Daba Kosa. At present, Daba Kosa is purchased by the Silk Department, but Rally Kosa is purchased through traders.
- In view of this, Chhattisgarh State Minor Forest Produce Association has been directed to purchase rally cosa produced in Chhattisgarh by Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel on support price. It will directly benefit the residents of Jagdalpur (Bastar), Dantewada, Narayanpur, Kondagaon and Sukma districts including tribal-forest farmers of the state.
- It is noteworthy that the production of Rally Kosa mainly occurs naturally on the Sal tree. Daba Kosa is produced on trees like Arjuna, Saja and Lendia etc. Rally Kosa is superior to Daba Kosa in quantity and quality. Rally Kosa takes place in 2 seasons (Bhado and Chaiti). The quantity and quality of the Bhado crop is more important.
- In the state of Chhattisgarh 8 to 12 crore rally cocoons are produced. Its average value is 30 to 40 crores. Also 9 to 10 crore cocoons are produced in the form of Daba Kosa, whose value is about 25 to 30 crores.
- At present, out of these, the purchase of Daba Kosa is done by the Silk Department, but the Rally Kosa is purchased through traders.