Country's First Passenger Train to Run On Hydrogen Fuel
- 10 Aug 2021
- 1 min read
Why in News
- The Indian Railways has decided to introduce the country's first hydrogen-fuelled train.
- Initially, the hydrogen fuel-based technology will be introduced on the 89 km long Sonipat-Jind route.
- The Indian Railways has decided to introduce the country's first hydrogen-fuelled train under the 'National Hydrogen Energy Mission'.
- Initially, 2 DEMU rakes will be converted, and later 2 hybrid narrow gauge locos will be converted based on hydrogen fuel cell power movement.
- Significantly, this decision has been taken to cut down on the Green House Gas (GHG) emission under 'Paris Climate Agreement 2015’ and ‘Mission Net Zero Carbon Emission Railway' by 2030.
- So far, this method of power generation in railways is being used by Germany and Poland only.