Annual Status of Education Report (ASER) 2022
- 19 Jan 2023
- 3 min read
Why In News?
- According to the Annual Status of Education Report (ASER) 2022 released on January 18, 2023, the English and mathematics abilities of children studying in schools in Bihar have increased, as well as the interest of children in private coaching has increased.
- According to this report, the attendance of students and teachers in primary schools of Bihar has also increased, while the proportion of unaccounted girls in the age group of 15-16 years has decreased.
- According to the report, the ability to read English among class 5 children in Bihar has increased by 4.3% between the year 2016 and 2022. The number of such children was 18.1 in the year 2018, which has increased to 2 2.4% in 2022.
- The ability to read English in Class 8 is stable at 43.8% in 2022, the same as in 2014. Similarly, 11.4% of class 3 students in the state were able to read simple sentences of English and 54.5% of the children were able to convey their meaning.
- According to this report, the efficiency of attending class 5 children of government or private schools in the state has increased by 5.5% compared to the year 2018 to 35.4% in 2022 . The number of such children in class 5 in government schools has increased by 5.9% and in class 8 by 2.4%.
- The trend of private coaching among children up to class 8th has increased by 9.5%. Under this category, 62.2% of children used to take private tuition in 2018, now this figure has increased to 71.7%.
- It is noteworthy that the trend of private coaching in Bihar is the highest in the country.
- Enrolment has increased by 4.1% even after the closure of government schools during Covid. By the year 2022, the enrolment of children aged six to 14 in government schools in Bihar is 82.2%. The total enrolment in private and government schools in the same age group has been 98%.
- During the year 2022, the number of unaccredited girls in the age group of 11-14 years in Bihar has come down to 1.8%. The proportion of unaccompanied girls aged 15-16 years has come down to 6.7%. The average attendance of pupils in primary schools has increased from 56.5% in 2018 to 59.3% in 2022. 30.2% of primary and 34.9% of upper primary schools had text books.
- Children enrolled up to pre-primary three years in Bihar schools – 77.1%
- Primary government schools with 60 or fewer students in Bihar – 5.8%
- Attendance of teachers in Bihar 68 in 2018. Increased compared to 5% - 80.9%
- It is worth mentioning that a non-governmental organization 'Pratham' releases this report.