- Vazhakulam pineapple is the term used to refer to the pineapple produced in the Vazhakulam area in Kerala.
- Vazhakulam pineapple (Mauritius grade) has been GI tagged in 2009 in Agricultural-Horticultural Product category.
- Despite the fact that India is the world’s sixth largest pineapple producer, its share in the global market is negligible.
- The recent flooding in Kerala has led to shortfall in production and distress among pineapple growers.
- Other kerala products in GI tag are Pokkali rice, Wayanadan rice varieties (Jeerakasala and Gandhakasala), Tirur Betel vine, Central Travancore Jaggery and Chengalikodan Nendran - a banana variety.