Science & Technology
Sophisticated Analytical & Technical Help Institutes: SATHI
- 04 Feb 2020
- 3 min read
Why in News
The Department of Science & Technology (Ministry of Science and Technology) has launched a unique scheme called Sophisticated Analytical & Technical Help Institutes (SATHI).
- The DST has already set up 3 such centres in the country, one each at IIT Kharagpur, IIT Delhi and BHU. It is planned to set up 5 SATHI Centres every year for the next four years.
- These Centres have major analytical instruments and advanced manufacturing facilities to provide common services of high-end analytical testing, thus avoiding duplication and reduced dependency on foreign sources.
- Science and Technology infrastructure:
- Address the need for shared, professionally managed and strong Science and Technology infrastructure in the country which is easily accessible to academia, start-ups, manufacturing, industry and R&D labs.
- Efficient Use of Equipments:
- Address the problems of accessibility, maintenance, redundancy and duplication of expensive equipment in Institutions.
- Intellectual Property Rights :
- Address the issue of Intellectual property (IP) creation and protection, a digital platform will be created which will facilitate seamless application and capture IPRs (Intellectual Property Rights).
- Knowledge Translation Clusters:
- These clusters will be set up across different technology sectors including in new and emerging sectors for designing, fabrication and proof of concept and further scaling up technology clusters.
- Besides the SATHI initiative, extra funds to 100 top-performing departments in universities and IITs etc will be provided in 2020 for augmentation of their research facilities to global benchmarks.
- The research efforts of these supported departments will be in sync with the national priorities of excellence in manufacturing, waste processing, clean energy and water, and Start-up India, etc.
- SAATHI (Sustainable and Accelerated Adoption of efficient Textile technologies to Help Small Industries) Initiative
- It is an initiative of the Ministry of Textiles.
- Objective: To sustain and accelerate the adoption of energy efficient textile technologies in the powerloom sector and cost savings due to use of such technology.
- SATH (Sustainable Action for Transforming Human capital) Program
- It is a program of NITI Aayog.
- Objective: To initiate transformation in the education and health sectors and build 3 future ‘role model’ states.
- The program addresses the need expressed by many states for technical support.