Rapid Fire Current Affairs
- 23 Aug 2023
- 4 min read
Diversion of Paravanar River Course
Neyveli Lignite Corporation India Limited (NLCIL) has successfully accomplished the permanent diversion of the Paravanar River course to safeguard habitats and agricultural fields from inundation, benefiting local communities and irrigation prospects.
- NLCIL is a Navratna company Central Public Sector Undertaking under the administrative control of the Ministry of Coal.
- Paravanar River Basin which is a leaf-shaped river basin and the second smallest river basin of Tamil Nadu lies within the Cuddalore District of Tamil Nadu.
- The Paravanar River is not a mature river and is seasonal and ephemeral (lasting or used for only a short period of time).
India and the Philippines sign MoU for Enhanced Maritime Cooperation
- Indian Coast Guard has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) on enhanced maritime cooperation.
- The MoU seeks to enhance the professional linkage between the two Coast Guards in the domain of Maritime Law Enforcement (MLE), Maritime Search & Rescue (M-SAR) and Marine Pollution Response (MPR).
- The implementation of this MoU will enhance bilateral maritime cooperation between the two nations for ensuring safe, secure and clean seas in the region.
- India and the Philippines are two democratic countries in the Indo-Pacific region that share a common approach towards the Indo-Pacific, emphasizing the importance of a free, open, and stable region.
Read more: India- Philippines Ties
Toxic femininity emerged as a counterpart to toxic masculinity ,which was first introduced in the 1980s by Shepherd Bliss during the mythopoetic men's movement.
- Toxic femininity emphasizes societal expectations that restrict women to submissive roles, fostering internalized misogyny.
- It is seen as a result of societal expectations around gender roles, forcing women into submissive positions that uphold male dominance.
- This internalized misogyny leads women to endure aggression and sexist behavior as a means of survival.
- Another viewpoint sees toxic femininity as a strategy for women to gain influence within a patriarchal system.
- This might involve using manipulation or portraying oneself as a victim to gain control while appearing outwardly powerless.
- Stockholm syndrome is a psychological phenomenon that occurs when hostages or victims of abuse develop positive feelings towards their captors or abusers, and negative feelings towards the authorities or anyone who tries to help them escape.
- The term was coined after a bank robbery in Stockholm, Sweden, in 1973, when four hostages refused to testify against their captors and even raised money for their defense.
- Stockholm syndrome is not a recognized mental disorder, but rather a coping mechanism that some people use to deal with a traumatic situation.
- It is thought to result from a combination of factors, such as power imbalance, emotional isolation, gratitude for small kindnesses, and survival instinct.