NITI Aayog and CII Launch Partnership on SDGs
- 09 Aug 2018
- 2 min read
The NITI Aayog entered into a three-year partnership with the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) to develop vision and action agenda for the industry to contribute towards sustainable development goals (SDGs).
- The partnership focuses on specific activities that seeks to develop:
- Vision and Action Agenda for businesses and industries to contribute to SDGs,
- Annual Status Reports,
- Sector-specific Best Practise Documents.
- The Government reiterated that India will achieve its clean energy goals even earlier than 2022 and the only way to grow and develop sustainably is to use technology to leapfrog, use new and renewable energy and push for R&D and innovation to generate demand for electric vehicles, hydrogen cars, etc. and to find local solutions to the diversity of challenges.
Leapfrog: An advance from one place, position, or situation to another without progressing through all or any of
the places or stages in between. E.g.:India will leapfrog to emission standards of BS-VI from the current BS-IV by 2020, skipping BS-V.
Sustainable Development Goals
- Officially known as Transforming our world, the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development is a set of 17 "Global Goals" with 169 targets to be achieved over the next 15 years.
- They were adopted on September 25, 2015 to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all as part of a new sustainable developmentagenda.
- The UN spearheaded SDGs are successor of Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) that ended in 2015.
- The SDGs came into effect in January 2016.