National Conclave on Energy Efficiency
- 24 Sep 2019
- 3 min read
Recently, the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) organized a National conclave on energy efficiency in the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) sector.
- MSME entrepreneurs along with the industry associations, technology and service providers, and sectoral energy experts participated in the conclave.
- The conclave aimed at finding out new sustainable and green initiatives that can help MSMEs to achieve higher growth keeping in view the key issues like technical and financial capabilities of MSMEs, capacity building, and awareness programmes.
- During the inaugural session, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the development commissioner of MSME and the director-general of the BEE to develop a long-term road map for enhancing energy efficiency and security needs for the MSME sector through a focused intervention.
- At the event, a knowledge management portal named SIDHIEE was also launched.
- The portal aims to provide useful information (including tutorial videos) for early adoption of energy-efficient technologies by the MSMEs.
- According to the proposed new Power tariff policy, the emphasis will be laid upon making electricity prices rational for the MSMEs and reducing the burden of cross-subsidies for them. It can reduce the MSMEs’ power bills making them more competitive in the international market.
- Following the best practices and efficient energy initiatives will be helpful in reducing the nation’s energy demands and strengthening its energy security needs.
Power Tariff Policy
- The proposed amendments to the National tariff policy of 2016, focus upon the provisions related to Generation, Transmission, and Distribution of electricity.
- The target is to provide 24x7 uninterrupted power supply at affordable rates to all consumers, improve efficiency in the tariff design-related issues including simplification of tariff categories, rationalization of retail tariffs, removing barriers like cross-subsidy surcharges and undesirable duties on open access sales for the industrial and other bulk power consumers.
- This uninterrupted power supply to MSMEs and industries will enhance their efficiency and keep them running for longer durations.
Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE)
- The BEE is a statutory body under the Ministry of Power, Government of India.
- It assists in developing policies and strategies with the primary objective of reducing the energy intensity of the Indian economy.
- BEE coordinates with designated consumers, designated agencies, and other organizations to identify and utilize the existing resources and infrastructure, in performing the functions assigned to it under the Energy Conservation Act, 2001.