- 13 May 2019
- 1 min read
Recently, Department of Biotechnology (DBT) launched ‘MANAV: Human Atlas Initiative’, a project for mapping every tissue of the human body to help better understand the roles of tissues and cells linked to various diseases.
Purpose of the Programme
The programme will seek to provide:
- Better biological insights through physiological and molecular mapping,
- Develop disease models through predictive computing
- Allow for a holistic analysis and finally drug discovery.
The aim of the project is to understand and capture human physiology in two stages – normal stage and disease stage.
Why it Matters
- The collated data can be useful for future researchers and clinicians and drug developers, who finally handle human bodies in disease conditions.
- Such a database will come in handy in tracing causes of a disease, understanding specific pathways and ultimately decoding how the body’s disease stage is linked to tissues and cells.