Important Facts For Prelims
Switch To Hindi
International Yoga Day
- 21 Jun 2019
- 2 min read
The fifth annual International Yoga Day will be observed on June 21.
- June 21 is observed as International Day of Yoga every year since the United Nations declared it in 2015.
- The idea of International Day of Yoga was first proposed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his speech at the UN General Assembly (UNGA), on September 27, 2014.
- A draft resolution on 'International Day of Yoga' introduced by India's Ambassador to UN received support from 177 nations, the highest number of co-sponsors for any UNGA resolution.
- Thereafter, the United Nations proclaimed June 21 as the International Day of Yoga.
International Yoga Day 2019
- The theme for fifth International yoga 2019 day is 'Yoga for Heart'.
- Jharkhand's capital Ranchi will be hosting the main yoga day event.
- International yoga day coincides with the summer solstice.
- Yoga is inscribed in the list of UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity of India.
- In the Northern Hemisphere, the summer solstice occurs on June 21 with the longest period of daylight.
- On June 21st, the Northern Hemisphere is tilted towards the sun and the rays of the sun fall directly on the Tropic of Cancer.
- As a consequence, areas exposed to sun rays receive extra heat and the areas near the poles get less heat (as the rays of the sun are slanting).
- As a large area of the Northern Hemisphere is receiving light from the sun, it is summer in the regions north of the equator and longest day & the shortest night at these places occur on 21st June.