Important Facts For Prelims (3rd June 2019)
- 03 Jun 2019
- 2 min read
Indian Navy Steps Up Anti-piracy Patrol
- The Navy deployed its P-8I long-range maritime surveillance aircraft for anti-piracy sorties from Salalah in Oman to patrol the Gulf of Aden under its Mission Based Deployments (MBD) in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR),
- Under the MBD concept, the Navy maintains a ship at every choke point in the IOR at any point of time.
The P-8I is a long-range anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft capable of broad-area, maritime and littoral operations.
IIT Madras Develops New Material
- Recently, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras has developed a material with properties suitable for quantum optoelectronics.
- The materials like tungsten diselenide and molybdenum diselenide were being studied for their opto-electronic properties – a combination of optics and electronics.
- Researchers from IIT Madras have found a way of enhancing this property of these materials about 30 times in tungsten diselenide, by drop-casting gold nanoparticles on to a two-dimensional film.
- A key property of these materials is photoluminescence which can be used in various devices such as quantum LEDs which can be used in communication and computation.
Photoluminescence: Photoluminescence is a process in which a molecule absorbs a photon in the visible region, exciting one of its electrons to a higher electronic excited state, and then radiates a photon as the electron returns to a lower energy state.
Optoelectronics: Optoelectronics concerns the study and application of electronic devices that source, detect and control light.