DIPP Renamed as DPIIT
- 01 Feb 2019
- 2 min read
The government has notified changing the name of the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP) to the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- The renamed body will also be in charge of four new categories of responsibilities:
- the promotion of internal trade (including retail trade),
- the welfare of traders and their employees,
- matters relating to facilitating Ease of Doing Business,
- matters relating to start-ups.
- The matters related to internal trade were earlier under the domain of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs.
- The new responsibilities are in addition to the previous responsibilities of the erstwhile DIPP relating to general industrial policy, administration of the Industries, industrial management, productivity in industry, and matters related to e-commerce.
- Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) has welcomed the government's decision and said that this step will bring retail trade in the mainstream of the economy.
- Retail Trade is conducted by more than 5 crore business enterprises in the non-corporate sector and provides employment to 46 crore people and contributes to 45% to national GDP.
- CAIT has been asking for a separate Internal Trade Policy with a separate Ministry of Internal Trade both at Centre and State Government level which is able to devise a policy for self-organized traders.
Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT)
- CAIT is the non-governmental apex body of trading community of India at National Level.
- It is headquartered at Vyapar Bhawan in New Delhi.