Asia Media Summit
- 17 Jun 2019
- 3 min read
16th Asia Media Summit 2019 was organized in Siem Reap province, Cambodia to deliberate on issues pertaining to media & broadcasting industry.
- 16th Asia Media Summit held under the topic “Media Digitalization Focusing on Developing Markets”, was organized by the Cambodian Ministry of Information in collaboration with the Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD).
- The summit has addressed concerns caused by digital media, which requires relevant authorities to make regulations to anti-cybercrimes, fake news, and training people to raise awareness and enhance the media profession.
Asia Media Summit
- Asia Media Summit is the annual conference organized by Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD) in collaboration with its partners and international organizations.
- The Conference is attended by Decision makers, media professionals, scholars, and stakeholders of news and programming from Asia, Pacific, Africa, Europe, Middle East, and North America.
- Asia Media Summit provides a unique opportunity for broadcasters in the region to share their thoughts on Broadcasting and Information and is supported by all regional and International Broadcasting Unions and Associations.
- The Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD) was established in 1977 under the auspices of UNESCO.
- AIBD is a unique regional inter-governmental organization servicing countries of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN-ESCAP) in the field of electronic media development.
- Its secretariat is situated in Kuala Lumpur and is hosted by the Government of Malaysia.
- The AIBD is mandated to achieve a vibrant and cohesive electronic media environment in the Asia-Pacific region through policy and resource development.
- The International Telecommunication Union (ITU), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), and the United Nations Educational, Scientific Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) and The Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) are founding organizations of the Institute and they are non-voting members of the General Conference.
- Broadcasters from 26 countries in the Asia Pacific region including India are full members of the organization.
- India was elected as President of the Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD) in 2018 for the duration of two years.