Aug 03, 2016
A bio-toilet is a toilet attached to a fermentation tank containing aliquid consortium of epecially developedbacteria—aerobic or anaerobic.
- Drdo’s technology uses anaerobic (psychrophilic or coldloving) bacteria—specially brought fromAntarctica—and a metal/fibre-reinforcedplastic fermentation tank.
- The other technology uses an enzyme along with aerobicbacteria, which are mostly imported.
Indian Railway and Bio toilets
- Indian RAIL has rolled out new coaches with bio-toilets, using the bio-digester concept of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- In phases, all conventional toilets will be replaced with bio-toilets, and the Southern Railway is looking at having only bio-toilets by 2022.
- Under the bio-toilet concept of the DRDO, the bio-digester tank in every toilet is filled with inoculums containing four types of bacteria. The water trap system in the toilet prevents air from getting into the tank, the human waste is processed by anaerobic bacteria in seven chambers in the tank and the methane gas is allowed to escape into the air.
Q. With reference to bio-toilets used by the Indian Railways, consider the following statements:UPSC-PRE 2015
1. The decomposition of human waste in the bio-toilets is initiated by a fungal inoculum.
2. Ammonia and water vapour are the only end products in this decomposition which are released into the atmosphere.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2