Why in News
- On October 12, 2021, Chhattisgarh Governor Anusuiya Uikey administered the oath to Justice Arup Kumar Goswami as the 14th Chief Justice of the Chhattisgarh High Court.
- Justice Arup Kumar Goswami was the Chief Justice of the Andhra Pradesh High Court before being transferred to the Chhattisgarh High Court.
- Justice Arup Kumar Goswami replaces outgoing Chief Justice (Acting) of Chhattisgarh High Court Justice Prashant Kumar Mishra, who has been transferred as Chief Justice of Andhra Pradesh High Court.
- It is noteworthy that under Article 222 of the Constitution of India, a provision has been made regarding the transfer of judges of the High Court.
- However, presently, the appointment and transfer of the judges of the High Court is being done under the collegium system, whose present form has evolved from the decision of the Supreme Court in the 'Second Judges Case 1993'.
Switch to Hindi