Why in News?
According to information received from the media on June 2023, before the Kanwar Mela starts in Uttarakhand, the state's Panchayati Akhara Mahanirvani has implemented a dress code in two temples of Haridwar and Rishikesh districts.
- The temples where the dress code has been implemented are The Daksheshwar Mahadev Temple in Haridwar and Neelkanth Mahadev Temple in Rishikesh. Those wearing half-pants, torn jeans, mini skirts, and night suits will not be allowed to enter the temple. Only those who come wearing decent clothes will be allowed to enter the temple and visit.
- It is known that Akhil Bharatiya Akhara Parishad President and Secretary of Panchayati Akhara Mahanirvani Shrimahant Ravindrapuri Maharaj had announced a ban on devotees wearing indecent clothes in these two temples a few days ago.
- Secretary of Panchayati Akhara Mahanirvani said that to maintain the dignity in the temples, the dignity of clothes is necessary. Banners have been put up in both the temples enforcing the dress code. Women or men will no longer be able to enter these temples in indecent clothes. The body of the devotees should be covered up to 80%.
- He said that sign-boards have been installed in temples to promote decency and culture.
- Most of the temples in the country, whether they belong to saints or other committees, are under the government's trust, and everyone has welcomed this decision.
- It is known that the dress code is already in force in many temples of South India. Uttarakhand is a state of pilgrimage places and there was a need to implement it here too.
Switch to Hindi