Uttarakhand to Formulate Trekking Policy to Protect Trekkers
- 07 Oct 2022
- 2 min read
Why In News?
- On October 6, 2022, Uttarakhand Tourism Minister Satpal Maharaj informed that a trekking policy is being prepared through the Tourism Department for the safety of trekkers and trekking tourists climbing high peaks in the state.
- Tourism Minister Satpal Maharaj said that special care will be taken for the safety of trekkers and trekking tourists in the state in the trekking policy.
- Under the policy, satellite phones will be provided by the government to the leader of the mountaineering team, so that the location can be easily detected in case the mountaineering team is caught in any difficulty or disappearance.
- Apart from this, provisions are being made in the policy to give licenses to porters on the basis of training and experience.
- There is no policy in the state for trekking. Trekking tourists leave on the track route without any notice. In case of an accident, the government and administration also do not have any details of the tracking team.
- In the year 2003-04, the guidelines for mountaineering were made, which was applicable only for professional trekkers. At present, the special focus of the government is on promoting adventure tourism, due to which tourists from outside areas are coming to Uttarakhand for trekking.
- It is worth mentioning that every year in addition to professional trekkers from all over the country and the world, tourists interested in adventure tourism come for trekking. There have been many incidents with mountaineering teams. Now the government is formulating a policy for the safety of tourists and trekkers coming for trekking.