Uttarakhand Drinking Water Corporation is Preparing Water Grid
- 21 Jan 2023
- 3 min read
Why In News?
- On January 19, 2023, Uttarakhand Drinking Water Secretary Nitesh Jha informed that Uttarakhand Drinking Water Corporation is going to create a water grid like power grid for smooth supply of 24-hour water in the cities of the state. This grid will be exactly like a power grid, to which all the water lines will be connected.
- Drinking Water Secretary Nitesh Jha said that the Drinking Water Corporation is preparing a proposal for the creation of a water grid, which will be presented in the Asian Development Bank (ADB) meeting in February so that the project can get funding from ADB.
- It is known that till now there is a shortage of water for several days when the motor of a Tube well is blown in a particular locality or area in the state. People ask for water from tankers. There are many areas where water scarcity starts as the heat increases. In many places, there is a problem of water even in winter.
- To solve all these problems, the Drinking Water Department is preparing a water grid. Drinking water lines of all cities will be connected to this grid. Wherever there is a shortage of water, water will be made available from the grid. This task of connecting drinking water lines is a bit challenging.
- This is how the grid will work-
- Just as in the power grid, many times electricity is made available from another place in case of power problem in a particular area, similarly the water grid will also work.
- If there is a shortage of water in a particular area of a city, then water will be made available immediately through the grid. The main drinking water lines of each locality will be connected to this grid.
- It is noteworthy that a water grid is being set up in Marathwada region of Maharashtra. This grid is being created to provide water for drinking, industrial and agricultural purposes throughout the year.
- Marathwada consists of eight districts. There is less rainfall in this area. Because of this, there is a shortage of water here every year. In Gujarat too, work has been done to create a water grid for water supply.
- Work is being done to create a water grid to ensure that water supply is not disrupted for any particular reason in many areas. This will make it possible to provide water 24 hours a day.