Uma Singh of Gorakhpur Climbs Mount Friendship by Bicycle
- 08 Nov 2022
- 2 min read
Why in News?
- Recently, Uma Singh of Gorakhpur district has created history in the field of mountaineering, conquering the peak of Mount Friendship in Manali in Himachal Pradesh with a bicycle and thus becoming the first mountaineer to reach the top of this mountain on a bicycle.
- Uma Singh, a resident of Godsaira village in Bansgaon Tehsil area of Gorakhpur, started the journey on a bicycle on October 25. He cycled about 1400 km and reached Manali on November 2. From there, his campaign started on November 2. The entire journey took a total of 12 days.
- The top of the 17,346 feet high Mount Friendship stands like a wall for about two hundred meters. So it was not possible to get there. As per the instructions of the guide, he returned from 200 meters below the top after hoisting the tricolor.
- Earlier, Uma Singh had travelled from Kashmir to Kanyakumari (3629 km) between July 15 and 17. He cycled four himalayan peaks between August 12 and 15 to become the first Indian and the world's third climber by cycling four peaks of the Himalayan mountains.
- Apart from this, he climbed Mount Kilimanjaro (19340 feet), the highest peak of the continent of Africa, on August 15, 2021 and hoisted the tricolor.
- It is known that between November 30, 2020 and February 10, 2021, Uma holds the record of completing 12,271 km by cycle in 73 days. During this, he made his knock to all the states of the country and their capital.