Switch To Hindi
State Fisheries Development Board will be Formed in Uttarakhand
- 22 Sep 2022
- 2 min read
Why In News?
- On September 21, 2022, Uttarakhand Animal Husbandry Minister Saurabh Bahuguna told reporters that for the first time, the government will set up a State Fisheries Development Board to promote fisheries business in the state. The structure of the board is being prepared under the chairmanship of Secretary Fisheries.
- Animal Husbandry Minister Saurabh Bahuguna said that there is a lot of employment potential in fisheries in the state. For the first time, instructions have been given to the departmental officers to form a separate board to promote fisheries. Implementation and marketing of fisheries schemes will be promoted through the board.
- The decision to constitute the board was taken at a meeting of the Managing Committee of the State Fisheries Development Agency. The exercise of proposing the structure of the board has started, after which the proposal will be brought in the cabinet for approval.
- It is worth mentioning that about six thousand metric tonnes of fish is produced in the state. The government has set a target of taking fish production to 11 thousand metric tonnes within the coming one year.
- More than 11 thousand people are doing fish business in the state. So far, the production of Common Carp, Silver Corp, Rohu fish is high in the state.
- In view of the increasing demand in the market, the government plans to provide employment opportunities by increasing trout fish production. The state government is now going to form a separate Fisheries Development Board for fisheries on the lines of Uttarakhand Livestock Development Board for animal husbandry development.
- The top three fish producing districts in Uttarakhand are- 1. Udham Singh Nagar (2921.349 MT), 2. Haridwar (1424.89 MT), 3. Dehradun (295.53 MT).