Solar Power Park
- 04 Mar 2022
- 2 min read
Why in News
Omkareshwar Floating Solar Park (600 MW) approved in the Ultra Mega Renewable Energy Power Parks (UMREPPS) mode under the Solar Energy Park Scheme of the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Government of India in the meeting of the Council of Ministers held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on March 3, 2022. ) and Chhatarpur Solar Power Park (950 MW) has been approved.
- Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Limited (RUMSL) will be the Solar Park Project Developer (SPPD) for the development of these parks.
- The proposed 600 MW capacity floating solar project on Omkareshwar reservoir is the world's largest floating solar project in the present scenario.
- This project will be developed as a multipurpose project, in which it will be possible to fulfill the objectives of land conservation, water conservation etc. useful for tourism, agriculture and industry.
- The power generated from the solar projects will be purchased by the Madhya Pradesh Power Management Company Limited (MPPMCL) for the supply of solar RPO of the state and for the use of the state. The rest of the electricity will be purchased by other public institutions for use in the state or outside the state.
- The above projects will also prove helpful in fulfilling the renewable energy bond with low cost environment friendly electricity to the state.
- It is noteworthy that in the COP 26 conference organized by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Glasgow, the country has set a target of setting up renewable energy projects of 500 GW (five lakh MW) by the year 2030.