Switch To Hindi
SDG Urban Index, 2021
- 26 Nov 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
- Recently, the Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) urban index was released by NITI Aayog, in which the performance of Bihar's capital Patna is disappointing. Patna has been ranked 52nd out of 56 cities. In this, Patna has been placed in the performer category (50-64).
- For the first time under this type of sustainable development goal, urban index has been released by NITI Aayog.
- In the index, 56 urban areas of the country have been ranked on the basis of progress achieved in 77 indices, in which Shimla is on the first rank with the highest score of 75.5. Patna has got a total score of 57.29 in this index.
- In this index, the cities are divided into 4 categories – (I) Achiever (100 marks), (II) Front runner (65-99 marks), (III) Performer (50-64 marks) and (IV) Aspirant ( 0-49 points).
- Patna has got only 45 score in terms of achievement of Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) - 1 (Zero Poverty). While Patna has performed worst in terms of achieving SDG target 8. In this, Patna's score is only 17.
- In terms of achieving SDG-12 (Ensuring Sustainable Consumption and Production Pattern), Patna has scored the best performing 100.
- The United Nations has set 17 SDG goals to ensure sustainable development. Countries and states are committed to fulfilling the objectives of SDGs.