Proposal will be sent to Declare Khatiyar Gir as Ramsar site
- 14 Jul 2023
- 2 min read
Why in News?
On July 12, 2023, the State Wetland Authority meeting held at the Environment Complex under the chairmanship of Madhya Pradesh Environment Minister Hardeep Singh Dang approved the proposal to include Gir Eco Region Wetland in the new Ramsar site of the country for the sake of Chambal Sanctuary.
- It is known that there are 4 Ramsar sites including Bhoj Wetland in the state. Of these, Yashwant Sagar and Sirpur Talab of Indore, Sankhya Sagar of Madhav National Park Shivpuri got the status of Ramsar site from the Central Government last year.
- The projects of Dhar Wetland Complex (Dhupsagar, Devisagar and Munjsagar) and Girwar Talab Shajapur have been approved under the NPCA scheme of the Central Government.
- It was told in the meeting that more than 15,000 ponds with an area of more than 2 hectares are being conserved in the state as per the guidelines of the Supreme Court.
- District Wetland Conservation Committees are being formed with the aim of making society and administration partners in the conservation of water sources. Till now they have been formed in 22 districts.
- On this occasion, Environment Minister Hardeep Singh Dung also released the 'Ramsar Sites' booklet based on Madhya Pradesh's Ramsar sites- Bhoj Wetland, Sankhya Sagar, Sirpur and Yashwant Sagar by Madhya Pradesh State Wetland Authority.