Proposal for Formation of Rajaji Tiger Conservation Foundation Ready
- 23 Oct 2023
- 2 min read
Why In News?
On October 22, 2023, Forest Minister Subodh Uniyal said that a proposal has been prepared for the formation of Rajaji Tiger Conservation Foundation on the lines of Corbett Tiger Foundation. Now it will be placed for approval in the upcoming cabinet meeting.
- It may be noted that the decision to form the Foundation was taken in the Wildlife Board meeting. The proposals have got the green signal from the Department of Justice and Personnel.
- The main objective of formation of Rajaji Tiger Conservation is to accelerate and facilitate ecological, economic, social and cultural development in the reserve area and its surrounding areas.
- Under the foundation, people living around the area will be linked to alternative livelihood schemes which are dependent on forests. Through different schemes, efforts will be made to reduce their dependence on forests and eco-tourism activities will be promoted to improve their economy.
- Apart from this, such measures will also be taken to resolve human-wildlife conflict and curb wildlife hunting and other criminal activities.
- Provision for a regular budget will also be made to support environmental education. Steps will be taken for the welfare of the employees posted in the Tiger Reserve, their wild habitat protection and wildlife protection.
- There is also a proposal to create a trust under the foundation. Its registration will be done as per rules. It will have a governing body. The State Government will be able to protect the functioning of the Foundation.
- After the formation of the Foundation, the income received from tourism activities in the reserve area will have to be deposited in the treasury of the state government. Later the government will return it to the Foundation in the form of a grant.