Switch To Hindi
Prof. Shyam Sundar Jyani Honored with UN Award
- 30 Sep 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
- On September 28, 2021, Prof. Shyam Sundar Jyani was awarded the World's highest award for land conservation - 'Land for Life Award'.
- He was given this award for family forestry, under the international category, at the online global ceremony held in Boon, China.
- Prof Jyani was declared the winner for his outstanding contribution to land conservation at the global event of World Desertification Day in Costa Rica on June 17, 2021.
- In May 2022, at the Global Conference of Member States in the African country of Ivory Coast, Prof. Jyani will be invited for a special address and will be presented with this trophy.
- It is noteworthy that this award is given every two years by UNCCD, the unit on land conservation of the United Nations, to a person or organization from all over the world for their outstanding contribution to land conservation.
- The United Nations rewards organizations and individuals on the international stage for innovation in land restoration and conservation methods that promote well-being of the environment and communities and improve relationships with them.
- The Saihanba Forest of China was given the award under the national category.
- Prof Shyamsunder Jyani hails from village 12 TK in Raisingh Nagar tehsil of Sriganganagar district and is currently Associate Professor of Sociology at Government Dungar College, Bikaner.
- Professor Jyani has been doing excellent work for the last 20 years by going from village to village and explaining people, school students and teachers about trees and environment and planting lakhs of trees in the desert land of western Rajasthan with his salary.