Switch To Hindi
Padma Shri Irshad Mirza
- 05 Dec 2022
- 2 min read
Why In News?
- On December 4, 2022, Padma Shri Irshad Mirza, who brought international recognition to red tape, leather exporter and chairman of Mirza International, passed away due to illness. He was 87 years old.
- Irshad Mirza started the company in 1979, which works for leather making and tanning and finishing. The leather made in the company is also exported abroad. His name has come in forbes magazine's list of influential industrialists.
- Irshad Mirza started his career as an exporter of leather goods (saddle products) in the year 1973. Over a period of 32 years, he set up an export business with a turnover of about Rs 350 crore. In this, 11000 people are directly and indirectly associated with employment. In the year 1975, he developed a contemporary saddlery internationally and took it to Australia, where it was well-liked.
- Irshad Mirza has also served as the chairman of the State Minorities Commission in the Rajnath Singh-led Uttar Pradesh government.
- Irshad Mirza has established an educational institution, a Sahitya Prachar Akademi and many other institutions. He has also been the president of the Kanpur chapter of the Rotary Club.
- With mirza foundation, he has also built a 100-bed hospital near his factories to provide high-quality medical facilities to the workers and villagers of rural areas.
- He has held the responsibilities of Chairman of Leather Export Council, President of Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Uttar Pradesh, Managing Committee Member of Federation of Indian Export Organizations and Director of Uttar Pradesh State Industrial Corporation.