Noor Shekhawat became the 1st Transgender of Rajasthan to have a Jan Aadhaar card
- 21 Aug 2023
- 2 min read
Why is News?
According to the information given by the Information and Public Relations Department of Rajasthan on August 20, 2023, Noor Shekhawat, a transgender studying in Rajasthan University, has become the first transgender of Rajasthan to have a Jan Aadhaar card.
- For the 1st time in the state, the Jan Adhaar Authority has issued a Jan Adhaar card to a transgender, setting a new precedent.
- Joint Director of Rajasthan Jan Adhaar Authority Sitaram Swaroop said that this is the first time that a Jan Adhaar card has been issued in the name of a transgender.
- He said Noor Shekhawat had met him and explained her problem that she did not have her own Aadhaar card due to rejection by the family, due to which she was not able to take advantage of any scheme run by the state government.
- According to the rules, only a woman above 18 years of age or a man above 21 years of age can be made the head of any Jan Aadhaar family. So far, no transgender has been made the head of the family nor has any transgender approached the authority so far and applied for the post of head of the family. For this reason, Noor Shekhawat was also disappointed in her efforts.
- When contacted by Noor, Sitaram Swaroop directed his technical team to make changes in the software and handed over an E-copy of the Jan Aadhaar card to Noor Shekhawat by enrolling her in Jan Aadhaar.
- With the receipt of Jan Aadhaar card, Noor will now be able to easily get the benefits of various schemes of the state government like other beneficiaries.