New Species of Turmeric and Coriander
- 27 Sep 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
- On September 26, 2021, In the annual meeting of the All India Spices Research Project held at the Agricultural College and Research Center Raigarh new species of coriander and turmeric developed from the research of scientists of Raigad were identified for national release.
- After presenting these species before the Central Release Committee, both the species will be brought in the seed production chain.
- One entry of coriander will be included in the name of Chhattisgarh state Dhaniya-3 and will be released for 10 states of the country. On the other hand, turmeric will be included in the name of Chhattisgarh State Haldi-3 and will be released for 7 states of the country. After release, the seeds of these species can also be produced in different classes.
- Dr. Shrikant Sanwargaokar, the chief breeder of these species said that both these varieties of coriander and turmeric are very important and beneficial for the farmers, which are in line with the farmers' market. Farmers can get maximum profit from their production. The production of these species is high and the quality is good. Their cropping period is slightly less than the prevalent species.
- Dr. AK Singh, principal investigator of the project and Dean of the College of Agriculture, said that not only the farmers of Chhattisgarh, but also the farmers of other states would benefit from these two species. These species have high resistance to diseases and pests. Farmers will get more profit due to lower cost of production and higher production of these species.