New education policy to come into effect in Uttarakhand from July 1
- 16 May 2022
- 1 min read
Why In news
- On May 13, 2022, Uttarakhand's Higher Education Minister Dhan Singh Rawat told the conference of Junior High School Teachers Association Pauri that the National Education Policy (NEP) will come into force in the state from July 1 this year.
- With this, Uttarakhand will become the first state in the country to implement the NEP.
- Speaking on the occasion, he said that with the curriculum of primary to secondary classes being prepared under this education policy, the state government is going to create smart classes in 12,000 schools.
- It may be recalled that based on the report of the committee headed by K. Kasturirangan, the new National Education Policy brought in the year 2020 aims to transform the Indian education system by removing the loopholes in the 1986 education policy.
- Its main goals are as follows:
- Increase the Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) to 100% by the year 2030.
- Public expenditure of 6% of GDP on education sector in collaboration with the Central and State Governments.
- Increase the 'Gross Enrolment Ratio' in higher educational institutions from 26.3% (year 2018) to 50%.