National Water Sports Competition First Time in Tehri Lake
- 21 Dec 2022
- 2 min read
Why In News?
- On December 20, 2022, R.K. Vishnoi, President and Director of THDC India Limited, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand informed that under the technical supervision of the Government of India and the Indian Olympic Association, Uttarakhand Olympic Association and ITBP, the Tehri Lake in the state from December 28 to 30 National Level Canoeing and Kayaking Competition will be organized.
- R.K. Vishnoi informed that for the first time in this national level water sports competition, Asian Championship and Olympic Qualifying fourth ranking and Canoe (Dongi) Sprint Senior Men and Women Championship will have all the matches.
- In this three-day competition, 300 players from 17 states of the country, including 200 male and 100 female players, have registered.
- It is noteworthy that after about eight years, the canoeing and kayaking competition is being organized at an altitude of 840 meters above sea level.
- On the inspiration of Government of India, THDC India Limited is going to organize Tehri Water Sports Cup to promote Canoeing and Kayaking.
- Vishnoi said that holding of national level water sports competition in Uttarakhand will increase the interest of tourists and sportspersons. Tehri Lake has immense possibilities of water sports.
- If water sports activities will increase in Tehri Lake and rivers, then surely the youth will get employment. THDCIL is also working on a plan to train youth for water sports players and related jobs after the competition.
- AN Tripathi, Additional General Manager, Corporate Communications Department, THDCIL, said that earlier a canoeing and kayaking competition was organized at the same height in Kashmir. In Himachal too such competitions are held in high altitude areas.