Master Plan to Preserve Nalanda World Heritage
- 27 Oct 2022
- 2 min read
Why in News?
- Recently, the Bihar government has started work to preserve the Nalanda Mahavihara heritage. The process of preparing a master plan for this is in the final stage.
- According to the newly constructed master plan, heavy vehicles will no longer go towards this heritage. Parking lots have been set up around the lake near Nava Nalanda Mahavihara for parking of these vehicles.
- Any kind of construction work has been banned around 300 meters of this mahavihara.
- At the same time, instructions have been given to remove many shops around the heritage and the Youth and Art, Culture and Urban Development Department has made a detailed plan for this.
- On October 17, 2022, the Archaeological Survey of India had expressed concern over the threat to the world heritage status of the ancient Nalanda Mahavihara.
- On May 16, 2016, the remains of Nalanda Mahavihara were included in the Unesco World Heritage list.
- It is known that the master plan of the sites of archaeological importance included in the UNESCO list has to be sent to the World Heritage Center, Paris. If the Unified Master Plan is not sent within the stipulated time frame, the World Heritage Committee takes a negative view of that heritage and can end its World Heritage Status.