- 13 May 2022
- 1 min read
Why In News
- On May 11, 2022, 7 labourers have been stranded on an island near Maneri Dam due to the alternate route being washed away due to rising water level of Bhagirathi river, who are being rescued to evacuate them.
- Maneri Dam is a concrete gravity dam located on the Bhagirathi river in Uttarkashi district. The primary objective of the dam is to divert water and provide water to the 90 MW run-of-the-river Tilloth Power Plant.
- Significantly, the Bhagirathi river is one of the two top streams of the Ganga, which originates from the Gomukh of the Gangotri Glacier.
- This river flows in the form of Ganga, joining Alaknanda in Devprayag.
- As per the state government data, 16 hydro power projects with a capacity of 1,743 MW on the Bhagirathi river are at various stages of development. is an important hydroelectric project (HEP) located on it.