Jamrani Dam Multipurpose Project of Uttarakhand Included under PMKSY-AIBP
- 26 Oct 2023
- 4 min read
Why In News?
On October 25, 2023, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has approved the inclusion of Jamrani Dam Multipurpose Project of Uttarakhand under the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana-Accelerated Irrigation Benefits Programme (PMKSY-AIBP) of the Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
- The Union Cabinet has approved central assistance of Rs 1,557.18 crore to Uttarakhand for completion of the project at an estimated cost of Rs 2,584.10 crore by March 2028.
- The project envisages construction of a dam near Jamrani village on Gola River, a tributary of Ram Ganga River in Nainital district of Uttarakhand. The dam extends its 40.5 km (about 25.17 mi) stretch to the existing Gola Barrage. Long canal system and 244 km. The long canal will give water through the system, which was completed in 1981.
- The project envisages additional irrigation of 57,065 hectares (9,458 hectares in Uttarakhand and 47,607 hectares in Uttar Pradesh) in Nainital and Udham Singh Nagar districts of Uttarakhand and Rampur and Bareilly districts of Uttar Pradesh.
- Apart from construction of two new feeder canals, 207 km (about 128.62 mi) of existing canals are to be renovated and 278 km (about 172.74 mi) of canals are to be renovated under the project. Paved field channels are also to be implemented.
- Additionally, the project also envisages hydro power generation of 14 MW as well as provision of 42.70 million cubic meters (MCM) of drinking water to Haldwani and surrounding areas, benefiting more than 10.65 lakh population.
- A major share of the irrigation benefits of this project will also accrue to the neighboring state of Uttar Pradesh and cost/benefit sharing between the two states is to be done as per an MoU signed in 2017. However, the drinking water and electricity benefits are solely envisaged for Uttarakhand only.
- Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY)
- Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY) was launched during the year 2015-16 with the objective of increasing access to water on the farm and expanding cultivable area under assured irrigation, improving efficiency of water use in the field, implementing sustainable water conservation practices etc.
- The Government of India had in December 2021 approved the implementation of PMKSY during 2021-26 with an overall outlay of Rs 93,068.56 crore (central assistance of Rs 37,454 crore).
- The Accelerated Irrigation Benefits Programme (AIBP) component of PMKSY deals with creation of irrigation potential through major and medium irrigation projects. Under PMKSY-AIBP, 53 projects have been completed so far and 25.14 lakh hectares of additional irrigation potential has been created.
- So far, six projects have been covered under the AIBP component of PMKSY after 2021-22. The Jamrani Dam Multipurpose Project is the seventh project to be included under AIBP.