Switch To Hindi
Indore's Sirpur pond gets Ramsar Site Status
- 04 Aug 2022
- 3 min read
Why In News?
- On August 3, 2022, 10 water sites in five states were given the status of Ramsar site by the Union Ministry of Forest, Environment and Climate Change, including Sirpur pond in Indore district of Madhya Pradesh.
- With this, there are now three Ramsar sites in Madhya Pradesh. On July 26, 2022, Sankhya Sagar Lake located in Madhav National Park of Shivpuri district got the status of Ramsar site, whereas Badi Lake (Bada Talab/Bhoj Tal) of Bhopal is already declared as Ramsar site.
- The 10 new Ramsar sites designated by the Union Ministry of Forest, Environment and Climate Change include six sites in Tamil Nadu and one each in Goa, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh and Odisha. With these, the number of Ramsar sites of international importance in India has gone up to 64. These wetlands are spread over an area of 12,50,361 hectares in the country.
- Earlier on July 26, 2022, the Union Ministry of Forests, Environment and Climate Change had declared five sites in the country as Ramsar sites. These included three wetland sites in Tamil Nadu, one in Mizoram and one in Madhya Pradesh. With these, the total number of Ramsar sites in the country had increased from 49 to 54.
- It may be mentioned that on the basis of an international treaty signed in 1971 in the city of Ramsar, Iran regarding lake conservation, a list of wetland sites of international importance is maintained. The role of The Ramsar Site in the climate imbalance and change times taking place in the world is very important in the environmental reform of the world.
|10 wetlands designated as Ramsar sites|
|Kingdom||Name of the wetland||Area (hectares)|
|Tamil Nadu||Koonthankulam Bird Sanctuary||72.04|
|Gulf of Mannar Marine Biosphere Reserve||52671.88|
|Vembannur Wetland Complex||19.75|
|Vellode Bird Sanctuary||77.19|
|Vedantangal Bird Sanctuary||40.35|
|Udayamarthanapuram Bird Sanctuary||43.77|
|Madhya Pradesh||Sirpur wetland||161|
|10 Total area of wetlands||1,51,842.41|
|Total area of 64 Ramsar sites in India (after designation of 10 more sites mentioned above)||12,50,361|