India Innovation Index, 2021
- 22 Jul 2022
- 2 min read
Why In News?
Uttarakhand has been ranked second in the category of 10 north-eastern and hill states in the India Innovation Index-2021 released by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Suman Beri on July 21, 2022.
- In Niti Ayog's 3rd India Innovation Index, states and union territories were classified into the category of 17 major states, 10 north-eastern and hilly states and 9 union territories and city-states for effective comparison of their performance.
- In the category of 17 major states, Karnataka is at the top spot with 18.01 points, while Telangana (17.66 points) is second and Haryana (16.35 points) is third. Odisha are 16th with 11.42 points and Chhattisgarh are 17th (last) with 10.97 points.
- Manipur topped the northeastern and hill states category with 19.37 points. Uttarakhand (17.67 points) is at the second spot in this category, while Nagaland (11.00 points) is at the bottom.
- Chandigarh (27.88 marks) has topped the union territories and city-states category. In this category, Delhi (27.00 points) is at the second position, while Ladakh (5.91 points) is at the bottom.
- It may be mentioned that the India Innovation Index prepared by NITI Aayog and the Institute of Competitiveness is a medium for evaluation and development of the country's innovation ecosystem. This puts the states and union territories in the order of their innovation performance, so that there is healthy competition between them.
- This Innovation Index has been prepared on the lines of the Global Innovation Index. In previous versions, the analysis was done on the basis of 36 indicators, but this time 66 indicators were used. The first and second innovation indices were released in October 2019 and January 2021 respectively.