Inauguration of Projects in Gorakhpur
- 08 Dec 2021
- 3 min read
Why in News
- On December 7, 2021, the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi inaugurated the projects set up at a cost of about 10 thousand crore rupees in Gorakhpur district. These projects are Hindustan Fertilizers and Rasayan Ltd. Gorakhpur, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Gorakhpur and ICMR- Regional Medical Research Center Gorakhpur.
- About 12.7 lakh tonnes of neem-coated urea will be produced annually at the Gorakhpur Fertilizer Factory of Hindustan Fertilizers and Rasayan Limited, built at a cost of Rs 8603 crore.
- From this factory, sufficient quantities of urea will be available to the farmers of the state. Employment and self-employment opportunities will be generated in Purvanchal. Transportation service centers will be encouraged along with ancillary industries associated with fertilizer factories.
- It is noteworthy that the old Gorakhpur urea plant based on naphtha was established in 1969. This fertilizer factory was closed on June 10, 1990. A four times bigger green field urea plant has been installed by Hindustan Fertilizer Rasayan Limited in place of FCI's closed urea plant.
- In 2016, the Prime Minister laid the foundation stone of this fertilizer factory in Gorakhpur. The capacity of this new factory, built on the site of the fertilizer factory established earlier in Gorakhpur, is 4 times more.
- The height of the Prilling Tower of Gorakhpur Fertilizer Factory is more than twice that of Qutub Minar. The height of the Qutub Minar is 72.5 meters, while the height of the Priling Tower is 149.5 meters. The world's second tallest Priling Tower has been built by Agro Fertilizers Limited in Daharki, Pakistan. Its height is 125 meters, while the height of Gorakhpur Fertilizer Factory is about 25 meters more than this.
- The capacity of the Gorakhpur AIIMS, which is being built with a cost of about Rs 1011 crore, is 100 beds. The foundation stone of this central institute was laid by the Prime Minister in July 2016.
- Establishment of AIIMS Gorakhpur and Regional Medical Research Center will help in prevention of other infectious diseases including encephalitis. The state-of-the-art labs of the Regional Medical Research Center located in the BRD Medical College campus have been prepared at a cost of Rs 36 crores.