'Haryana Road Safety Manual' Launched
- 20 Jan 2023
- 5 min read
Why In News?
- On January 19, 2023, Haryana Transport Department Principal Secretary Navdeep Singh Virk launched the 'Haryana Road Safety Manual' prepared with an aim to reduce road accidents .
- Principal Secretary Transport Department Navdeep Singh Virk said that by reading the 'Haryana Road Safety Manual', all kinds of information will be available to the road user and he will be able to make his journey safe by following the rules of road safety.
- He said that a provision has been made in the rules issued in 2018 to use 50 percent of the income received from vehicle challans for road safety. The lead agency/transport department seeks schemes/schemes related to road safety from the concerned departments under these rules.
- Last year, Rs 37 crore was received, which has been distributed to police, transport, education, local bodies departments for works/schemes related to road safety.
- Navdeep Singh Virk said that there is a need to expand the subject of road safety further and bring new aspects. In the meeting of the Road Safety Council held last month, it was decided to register FIRs against the concerned on the highways on which illegal cuts have been made.
- In compliance with this, all the District Transport Officers have been instructed to select one National Highway and one State Highway and take action from the concerned departments.
- He said that an agreement has been signed with IIT Madras to fix speed limits for various rots, under which they will conduct a state survey in this regard and also provide training to the employees.
- Additionally, the IRAD portal set up by the Ministry of Transport in the state has been launched to detect road accidents and black spots. He informed that 22 faceless services have been started in the state by VAHAN & SARATHI portal, due to which facilities will be provided on time through online application as per right to service act.
- It is known that Harman Singh Sidhu has prepared this manual and 10,000 copies of this manual in English language have been prepared by Maruti Company Executive Director Rahul Bharti with CSR funds.
- Similarly, in Hindi language, 5,000 copies of this manual will be prepared by Maruti company, which will be given to road safety knowledge centers and driving schools / training institutes.
- Transport Commissioner Yashendra Singh said that road safety is a serious issue in which the participation of all departments and public is very important so that road accidents can be reduced. For this, this manual will prove to be very useful and by reading it, driving learners and license makers and the general public will get information about the rules about road safety and reduce road accidents.
- On this occasion, Harman Singh Sidhu said that this road safety manual has been prepared under the guidance of the then Transport Commissioner Amitabh Dhillon.
- This manual is divided into four parts, in which Part-1 deals with road accidents and major risk factors, in Part-2 with knowing your vehicle which includes tyres, brakes, steering, wheels, lights, wind screen, rear view mirror, horn, Knowing blind spots, rules of the road, safe driving, polite driving towards other road users and safe driving, proper distance driving in part-3, following distances, about emergency vehicles, traffic signals at intersections Driving in compliance, types of signals, authority to mark, giving signals, changing lanes, highway driving, overtaking, railway crossing, driving in different conditions, stopping, parking and road signs and emergency situations and accidents in Part-IV Sharing the road, helping an accident victim, helping a Good Samaritan, responsibility towards the environment and laws, etc. have been explained.