Switch To Hindi
Government of India Approves CM's Proposal to Include Millets in Mid-day Meals
- 20 Feb 2023
- 2 min read
Why in News?
- According to the information given by the Chhattisgarh Public Relations Department on February 18, 2023, the Central Government has approved the proposal to include millets in the mid-day meal scheme by Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel.
- After the approval of the Center, now under the Pradhan Mantri Poshan Shakti Yojana, food items made from millets will be distributed to school children four days a week in place of soya chikki in 12 districts of Chhattisgarh.
- It is known that in line with the intention of the Chhattisgarh government, the Directorate of Public Education had sent a proposal to the Central Government to partially revise this scheme and distribute food items made of millets in place of soya chikki. This proposal has been approved by the Director of the Central Government, PM Poshan.
- It is noteworthy that farmers are being given a lot of incentives for the production of millets in the state. Millets like Kodo, Kutki-Ragi are being procured at support price. Apart from this, input subsidy of Rs 9,000 is being provided to the millet producing farmers of the state under the Millet Mission. The year 2023 has been declared as the International Year of Millets.
- Earlier, in the annual action plan of the Pradhan Mantri Poshan Shakti Nirman Yojana, the central government had approved Rs 1787.20 lakh as central share and Rs 1198.14 lakh as state share for providing soya chikki to children under supplementary nutrition diet in 7 districts of Chhattisgarh.