Gobar Dhan Yojana
- 06 Aug 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
- Recently the Panchayat and Rural Development Department of Madhya Pradesh has set a target to set up 9500 biogas plants in the year 2021-22 under the Swachh Bharat Mission in 2549 schools preparing mid-day meals for more than 200 students under the mid-day meal program in the state.
- Under this, community, group and individual biogas plants will be set up as per the need and demand to reduce the dependence on conventional fuels for cooking.
- It is noteworthy that under the second phase of the Swachh Bharat Mission, work is being done for cleanliness on a large scale. Efforts are also being made to make the kitchen clean and smoke-free for cooking.
- In this sequence, a biogas plant is being constructed under the Galvanizing Organic Bio-Agro Resources (Gobar Dhan) project.
- Efforts are being made to set up 20 to 25 mass biogas plants in at least one cowshed and between 5 and 10 households in each district due to the closure of schools during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Efforts are also being made for public participation and social behavior change to promote biogas plants.
- It is noteworthy that on May 12, 2018, the then Union Minister for Drinking Water and Sanitation Uma Bharti and Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan launched the GOBAR Dhan Yojana (GOBARdhan: Galvanizing Organic Bio Agro Resources) at the National Sanitation Conference held in Bhopal.