Ganga Mitras Model to be Implemented in Ganga Basin
- 07 Dec 2022
- 4 min read
Why In News?
On December 6, 2022, Prof. B.D Tripathi, chairman of Mahamana Malaviya Gangashodh Kendra and environmental scientist, told that the model of Ganga Mitras will be implemented in the entire Ganga basin to give an edge to the continuity of Ganga in Uttar Pradesh. For this, in the 315 kilometres long Ganga area from Prayagraj to Ballia, Ganga Mitra Janata will relate to the concerns of Ganga.
- Prof. Tripathi said that under the 'National Mission for Clean Ganga', the exercise of connecting the people with the uninterrupted, clean, economic, spiritual and ecological Ganga is showing positive effect in just 10 months. Mahamana Malaviya Ganga Research Centre BHU has proposed to implement this model in the entire Ganga basin.
- It is noteworthy that the 'Ganga Conservation Campaign' was started from March. 700 are associated with Ganga Mitra campaign. Ganga Awareness Research Centres have been set up at a distance of 21 km between Prayagraj and Ballia at a cost of Rs 90 lakh. Ganga Mitras have selected more than 650 Ganga villages and 100 Ganga wards and made 15,000 water conservation committees and 15,000 water conservators as members.
- He said that common people are also joining this campaign. The thinking and working style of those living on the banks of ganga has changed a lot due to the efforts of Ganga Mitras. This project has been sent to the National Mission for Clean Ganga. It is planned to be implemented within a radius of 2525 km of the Ganga basin. The plan can also be implemented for the conservation of other rivers.
- For this, the focus will be on five points-
- Clean Ganga: Ganga Mitras are giving edge to the Clean Ganga Campaign. Common people are being made aware about ganga cleanliness.
- Uninterrupted Ganga: Ganga Mitras are making people aware of the uninterrupted Ganga.
- Spiritual Ganga: 4500 women from 75 Ganga Chaupals and 10500 children from 150 schools have been connected to Namami Gange by putting Sanskar's.
- Arth Ganga: Farmers of 75 Ganga villages are being made self-reliant by increasing their income by making them aware of the techniques of conjunctive consumption, vermicomposting, organic farming, Ganga branding of vegetables and fruits and new irrigation methods.
- Ecological Development: Awareness campaign is being conducted for plantation and conservation of aquatic organisms around 150 schools, rivers, ponds, parks and temples. Youth have been trained through eco-skilled technology.
- It is known that the River Ganga originates from Gomukh, which goes through five states to the Bay of Bengal. The area through which the river water passes is called a basin. The Ganga basin is in Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand, Bihar and West Bengal.