Free Rice for Families Under PDS
- 12 Oct 2021
- 1 min read
Why in News
- According to an official statement issued by the state government on October 11, 2021, a target of providing free rice to a total of 58.91 lakh families in the state from May to November 2021 has been set under the Public Distribution System (PDS).
- In view of the pandemic situation, the Chhattisgarh government had announced to provide free rice to poor and needy ration card holders.
- According to official sources, a total of 51.20 lakh families are covered under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY) in the state and they will have to pay Rs 3 per kg of rice.
- Under the 'Annapurna Anna Yojana' of the Government of Chhattisgarh, 35 kg rice is given to Antyodaya families and 5 kg rice per member to priority families.
- Under PMGKAY, each member of the family holding Antyodaya and priority ration cards gets 5 kg additional rice under the Centre's scheme.