Formation of State Dam Safety Organization (SDSO) in Bihar
- 21 Jun 2022
- 1 min read
Why in News?
Recently a State Dam Safety Organization has been formed for the maintenance and safety of dams and barrages of Bihar.
- For this, the Water Resources Department has formed a team of 56 officers and staff led by the Chief Engineer of Central Design, Research and Quality Control.
- The SDSO has been constituted in accordance with the directions given by the Government of India under the Central Dam Safety Act.
- The SDSO will have the responsibility of inspecting, maintaining and monitoring 27 dams and 5 major barrages in the state.
- It may be recalled that the Central Government has asked all the states to prepare their own action plans for the maintenance of dams and barrages under the Dam Safety Bill, 2018 to further strengthen the safety of dams across the country.
- With 5,254 large dams, India is currently the third largest country in the world.